By Nerea Boada, on 13 June 2022
The social network TikTok has released its What's Next 2022 report, which includes the trends that were most important in 2021 and the TikTok trends for 2022. If you are planning to advertise on TikTok this year or use it to generate organic visibility, this article is for you!
TikTok Content Trends by Region
In Spain and Italy, users rejected outdated beauty standards and aesthetic diversity became popular, prioritizing wellness over beauty.
In France, 3D printing artists impressed audiences with their skills.
In the UK, local tourism content led users to discover hidden gems close to home.
And in Germany, sustainable travel and transportation were trending.
In Mexico, trends focused on keeping in touch with friends and family despite the distance. TikTok helped them get together, celebrate and share great moments.
In Brazil, sports was the most widely consumed content through TikTok's full-screen experience with sound.
Two major trends defined 2021 on TikTok in North America:
- Self-care, wellness, and "real beauty." TikTok users know that beauty is about being unique and feeling good.
- Financial literacy. Practical and simple money management tricks rose in popularity.
The Middle East and Turkey
Cooking was the main theme in 2021. Examples of cooking content trends that emerged are tips, recipes inspired by world flavors and adapted to dietary restrictions, kitchen organization, and much more.
Additionally, TikTok became the reference for sharing all kinds of practical and ingenious tricks related to beauty, fashion, and even technology.
This region's interests varied by country:
- In Austria and New Zealand, local tourism boomed. Creators were dedicated to discovering the most unique places in their countries.
- In Vietnam, TikTok became a safe community for mothers.
- And in Indonesia and Thailand, they joined the international movement to reinvent fashion norms and focus on wellness rather than beauty.
TikTok’s 4 Big News for Brands in 2022
1. Community Commerce
Community Commerce is word-of-mouth marketing powered by the creators of TikTok.
The keys to TikTok's marketing success for brands are honest reviews, entertaining product videos, and unique recommendations. TikTok has sold out of everything from face masks to milk frothers. The hashtag #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt accumulates tens of millions of video plays each week.
TikTok highlighted 4 findings from its report that can help brands define their Community Commerce strategy in 2022:
- 73% of users felt a deeper connection with the brands they interacted with on TikTok compared to other platforms.
- 78% say the best brands on TikTok are those that share their ideas and collaborate with users.
- 70% say they feel part of a community on TikTok.
- 67% say TikTok has inspired them to buy even when they had no intention of doing so.
2. The Evolution of Sound
Audio is one of TikTok's key differentiators. These are the social network's recommendations to succeed with audio in 2022:
- Create a unique sound branding. Sound branding is a very powerful tool to show the identity of a brand. Having a distinctive sound makes the brand stand out from the competition and creates lasting ties with its audience.
- Prioritize musicians. TikTok is a launching pad for today's biggest artists. Its culture of participation and co-creation makes it easy for artists to launch their tracks and stay in touch with their audience.
- Embrace voice technology. Voices are an essential component of audio on TikTok. Technologies like text-to-speech and vocal effects can do a lot for brands in 2022.
3. Creator Community
TikTok creators are a brand's dream team, as they possess the resources to connect with audiences and generate authentic connections. The numbers prove it: 65% of users like it when creators post about products and brands, and 35% discover new products through creators.
These are TikTok's top recommendations for brands that want to start collaborating with creators:
- Do your research to find your ideal creator through Creator Marketplace.
- Test different types of creators in terms of styles, subcultures, and audience sizes.
- Use TikTok's advertising tools, such as Ads Manager and Business Center.
- Create an "always on" strategy by combining your own channels with those of creators.
- Communicate proactively with creators throughout the process.
4. Brand Security
Brand safety is one of TikTok's priorities. It relies on four major pillars:
- Keeping the community safe, which in turn creates an environment of positivity for brands. TikTok introduced several new products and initiatives in 2021, including age settings and anti-bullying campaigns.
- Creating safe solutions for brands, ensuring that ads appear alongside appropriate videos.
- Promoting transparency and accountability. TikTok has a Transparency Center and publishes quarterly reports on compliance with community guidelines.
- Partnering with other organizations to help them improve by participating in online industry reports.