As the internet evolves, so do the internet-based advertising options that exists.
In fact, today, there are many different types of advertising that you can integrate into a digital marketing strategy. As the landscape of digital advertising changes online, its important to stay up to date on the latest trends, techniques, and strategies. These different online advertising options can be combined to form a 360° campaign, or they can be used alone.
So, if you want to learn about both the different types of online advertising and the different advertising campaign formats you can use, keep reading!
Types of Online Advertising
- 1. Native Advertising: This term is associated with more unconventional online advertising. In other words, it uses a strategy which shies away from banner formats or sponsored content in an attempt to win a user’s trust by offering them solutions to their problems. There are many tools you can use but the easiest of them all is to create a blog. In your blog, talk about topics related to the sector, but not solely about advertising; include something useful and interesting for your users. From there, using SEO, email marketing and lead nurturing, you can successfully offer the right content in whichever stage of the sales funnel potential clients may find themselves. The best thing about these formats is that they’re in no way intrusive and, therefore, are more highly valued by both the general public and by those who resort to using ad blockers.
- 2. SEM (Search Engine Marketing): With this type of campaign, the goal is to achieve increased brand awareness in a very short amount of time. All it takes is an ad with a title, a description and a call to action; not to mention, make sure to heavily rely on the use of keywords. Depending on the quality of the website and the established CPC, the ad will be shown when users type in your preselected keywords into a search engine. In this case, a bid (usually) based on CPC is established.
- 3. Display Advertising: Among the more ‘visual’ online advertising formats are display ads. They are called this because they, generally, contain images or videos and are published on designated places within any given website. It could be a blog, journal or a site aimed at a specific group. The purchase can be direct or through platforms such as Google Adwords. The cost is estimated by way of CPC or CPM
- 4. Mobile Advertising: Although there are many formats of mobile advertising, it’s recommended that all advertising campaigns should also be adapted to mobile platforms or at least follow a responsive typology which allows for pages to be formatted to the size of any given screen. Nowadays, everyone has a phone and/or a tablet that they constantly use. Moreover, they use these devices to access the internet. In fact, as of 2016, Google said mobile traffic has now surpassed that of desktop computers. Therefore, if you’re still not investing in mobile platforms, it’s time to take the plunge. Not only will you get both a better reach and an improved user interaction but, in a complimentary way, you’ll improve your SEO by way of Google’s Mobile First algorithm in ads you show on your own website.
- 5. Social Ads: Social media is an incredibly important part our everyday lives; it is made up of channels through when people connect multiple times a day and where they frequently communicate, share and give opinions. Creating ad campaigns on these platforms, therefore, is necessary for generating brand awareness and for acquiring potential new clients. Furthermore, thanks to wide segmentation possibilities social networks offer, they can also be the perfect places to launch new products/services geared towards very specific audiences. Moreover, regardless if your goal is to make conversions or to implement a branding strategy, Social Ads are a great choice!
- 6. Retargeting and Remarketing: Reminding repeat customers/users who have shown interest in your company is a solid strategy for making conversions. Remarketing works to make your banner appear on the whichever website those who have previously visited your website are actively visiting (provided that these sites offer remarketing spaces). These types of ads are good for making sales but also are helpful in gaining brand awareness, which improves a company’s presence within the consumer’s buying process. It can be purchased through search engine advertising management tools such as Google Adwords. The price, in this case, is usually established by CPC metrics.
- 7. Email Marketing: This format of marketing isn’t anything new but it has resurfaced with a renewed potency. This type of campaign in Spain yields among the highest numbers of conversions in Europe. Thanks to the many automatization tools available, you can achieve highly profitable conversion goals. Finally, If you consider that getting a new client it is over 7 times more expensive than maintaining a current one, you can be sure that email marketing is a grand idea.
- 8. Digital Signage: Although the name may be not as well known, it’s slowly creeping in to the lives of users and will soon to be a shared reality in the coming years. To put a definition with the name, we could say that this is the technological evolution of traditional outdoor advertising. They are used on billboards, MUPIs, window displays, telephone booths or any other stand that has a screen. The efficiency of this type of advertising resides in its capability to grab the attention of potential clients during the most mundane parts of their day.
- 9. Videos Marketing: Video content is an incredibly entertaining resource for users. This being said, using videos as an advertising strategy is an fantastic idea. Another idea is to partner up with YouTubers who feature and discuss your product/service (similar to native advertising). You can also come up with original video content to help you get a better and more organic position on SEO. Furthermore, by sharing these videos, you can gain more direct web traffic and increase your chances of one or more of them going viral. With videos, there are countless possibilities, even more so if you bear in mind that soon, if not already, an estimated 80% of the internet will be video-based content.
These are the types of advertising which exist right now. However, they could easily multiply in the coming years. With the combined progress of technology and the internet, we could see growth in the number of future business advertising options. This being said, it’s crucial to be on the front lines of both the internet and new technologies. In doing so, new lines of commercial communication with potential clientele could open up.
Now, when the time comes to design your company’s advertising strategy, keep in mind that intricate planning is a must. Additionally, you should decide which advertising formats you’re going to use and which ones you are not going to use.
Another part of this process is to assign a percentage of your budget to each format. The ideal scenario would be to carry out an exhaustive analysis, integrating various advertising avenues in order to increase reach and improve results.
Another important point to consider is the measurement of actions each strategy incorporates. For example, perhaps, once launched, you don’t get the results you hoped for in one advertising format, meanwhile in another avenue, maybe you exceed expectations. By carrying out a data analysis, one is able make any necessary budgetary adjustments in order to reorient the investments towards better conversions.
At the end of the day, remember, the option remains open to put yourself in the hands of an experienced and professional advertising agency who can optimize both your intended budget and your campaigns.
Are you ready to make the most of the different formats of online advertising for your company?