The world of online advertising is a revolving door of changes: updated search algorithms, shifting market trends, changing consumer interests, introduction of new and better technologies, etc.… This is how advertising always is; there’s always something new. In this light, there are a series of factors which make it impossible to continue doing the things the same way. In order to continually be on the cutting edge of online advertising and to be able to build to best strategies, continual training and realization of experiments and tests within the current market is required. If you do this, you’ll have the best campaigns for your business.
The advantages of online advertising
In order to ensure communication with the target audience and the success of an advertising strategy, one must invest in online advertising.
The advantages offered by the internet as support for different types of campaigns (including the fact that there are more and more people using the internet each day) means nearly every business to wants to leave their mark on the digital world. So, what are the pros for considering advertising online?
- Impact: In addition to the possibility of heavy segmentation that the internet offers, all the different medias out there (plus the different peak hours each one has), provides the potential for making a large impact on the campaign’s target market.
- Optimal measuring: Thanks to the wonderful tools that exist on the internet, online advertising campaigns can easily measure progress. This differs from more traditional advertising means in that 'those' metrics are approximated or limited towards a small portion of the audience. Online advertising metrics, on the other hand, are incredibly precise.
- Time saver: Even though both ‘online’ and ‘offline’ advertising require time to plan out a campaign strategy, the execution of online advertising campaigns goes much faster. In just a matter of minutes, you can have your ads ready across multiple different platforms and then published moments later.
- Flexibility: Online advertising is characterized, amongst other things, for being incredibly flexible. You can use any combination of texts, images and/or videos to reach your target market at any point in their day-to-day lives. If posted on the right network at the right time, the possibilities are endless. Moreover, options for native advertising have become practically infinite and are some of the more ‘appreciated’ types of ads by consumers. So long as you have a computer and internet access, all of the can be done from anywhere in the world!
- Low cost: If you compare the budget for a high impact ‘offline’ marketing campaign with that of online marketing campaign, the costs of running and online campaign becomes pretty inexpensive.
- User interaction: The internet also acts as an a aid which allows for direct user interaction. As opposed to other means of communication, business don’t just share messages, rather they become receptors, allowing them to hear what their customers have to say. This two-way street helps companies have a much more fluid line of communication and to learn more about their clientele’s interests. Even though this requires more attention on a company’s side, the advantages are worth it in the end.
- Speed: the rate at which information moves online is another element which makes online advertising a force to be reckoned with. Although you have to always be monitoring the metrics, with a good strategy, you can see results with incredible speed.
- Segmentation: the internet’s ability to reach the target audience via segmentation by age, interests, sex or other predetermined socioeconomic conditions is unprecedented. In order to find the right clients, you can simply launch an advertising campaign focused specifically on the type of person who meets a handful of pre-established requirements.
Online advertising figures and statistics
Even though the presence of many companies has already been well established online, there are still some businesses that are reluctant to invest in online advertising. Is this you? After learning about the different advantages online advertising offers, we think the data and stats below can help further convince you to take the final step.
- 84% of mobile platform advertisers believe that they offer a positive experience for their users. Just under 50% of users agree.
- 61% of consumers refuse to return to a website with which they had a bad user experience. 40% confirm they end up visiting their main competitors’ sites.
- The online world is already completely dominated by mobile devices and all new data consumption come from these devices.
- The average amount of time internet users spend on social medias is 2 hours per day.
- On average, companies respond to just 1 out of every 8 messages received on social medias within any give 72-hour period.
- Businesses that use social medias as a part of their online advertising strategies get a 129% higher conversion rate.
- Companies who both write and comment on reviews on social medias see a 69% increase in their customers's buying behavior.
- It’s predicted that by 2019 videos will take up 80% of internet traffic.
- Almost a third of newsletter subscribers read newsletters on their phones.
- The CTR of native advertising ads is more than twice as much as classic online advertising: 33% on phones and 16% written.
- Retargeting increases the willingness of a buyer’s purchase 70% of the time.
- Less than 30% of small businesses use web analysis tools.
- Company directors estimate investments in online marketing will increase about 14.7% next year.
- The top 4 online marketing sources that offer the highest budget increase are: email marketing (61% of businesses have invested more), social medias (up to 49% of businesses), mobile marketing (40%) and SEO (38%).
- For each dollar invested in email marketing strategies, the average ROI business yield is $40.
Whew, that’s a lot. However, this represents just a sliver of what’s moving on the internet right now. The time has now come for you to go out and find the perfect campaign for your business!
What does the future of online advertising look like?
All that you’ve seen until now is either all that has happened or is happening. However, as we previously mentioned, the world of online advertising is forever changing. This leads us to ask ourselves: where we are going? What will the future of online advertising look like for your company? There are various current trends that seem to give light to these questions; it makes you wonder how much things will change in just a few years.
- Agencies specialized in data analysis. It’s estimated that up to 10% of money invested on advertising worldwide ends up getting spent on ads no one ever sees. In this light, the future will include agencies specialized in data control, the blocking of fraudulent traffic and the elimination of this excessive spending.
- SEO Marketing App. This technique aims to bring together two different concepts necessary for achieving a higher number of users for any app. On one side is ASO, which works to position an app within the top positions on mobile market places (i.e. the App Store, Google Play Store, etc…), and the on the other side is SEO. The latter seeks to make an app show up within the top positions of search engines when users type in certain keywords.
- Advertising on Instagram and Facebook. The biggest social network in the world is also the owner of Instagram. Currently, Facebook is promoting the combined use of both platforms in order to create campaigns which work between themselves and we will surely be seeing more of this in the coming years.
- Virtual Social Networks. If the social medias of today didn’t seem like they could go any further a few years ago, now, with the arrival of virtual reality, a whole new world is about to begin. With a personalized experience for each user, the world of online advertising will have a field day with the endless innovative possibilities at their disposal.
- Artificial intelligence applied to campaigns. Automatization exists among many online marketing processes. The future is promising on the improvement of this aspect, which would also allow for more fluid client communication and improved use of time.
Online advertising is the present, but the future of online communications promises a great number of resources necessary to be a cutting-edge company that effectively connects with their target market. Will you join in?