Content marketing involves creating and distributing valuable, engaging content that attracts your target audience, and encourages them to become future clients or customers.
Content is a fundamental part of inbound marketing, as it is the material you use to increase brand awareness, attract potential customers, and generate interest around your products or services.
Keys to Inbound Content Marketing
- The content must provide value to the user. Instead of focusing on promoting your brand, products, and services, focus on creating content that is helpful and interesting to the user. Think about what the user wants or needs to know and about how you can create something that has the potential to be shared online. Bear in mind that the value of the content you create doesn't have to be practical. It can also be entertaining, emotional, funny etc.
- The content must be optimized for SEO. Before creating anything, you must consider what the keyword strategy of your website is and how you can adapt your content to fit into that strategy so that it positions well on Google.
- The content must be adapted to the different phases of the conversion funnel. The first time someone searches for a product or service, they are often looking for more general information. However, as they advance through the buyer journey, you can offer more detailed content like guides, the opinions of experts, or testimonials, for example.
- The content must respond to your branding rather than your products. Everything you publish under your brand has to be consistent with your image, mission and values. But, as mentioned above, focus on the user and not just on your brand. A good rule to follow is the 80/20 strategy: 80% of the published content must be focused on the consumer and only 20% must speak directly about the brand, its products or its services.
- The content must be published regularly. A good content strategy in inbound marketing revolves around planning and distributing new content over time, so that you can have a constant flow of visitors and keep them interested in your brand in the medium and long term.
- The content creation is an investment in your future. Sometimes, an article or a video can go viral and generate a major increase in views, visits, etc. But keep in mind that content marketing seeks to generate a base that then attract visitors in the future.
How to Create Content
In order to not just publish random content, it is necessary to have a plan that matches your business objectives. Therefore, before creating your content, consider the following questions:
- What do you seek to achieve with your content strategy?
- How often can you publish in a sustainable manner?
- What kind of content are you going to produce?
- How are you going to integrate the content into your brand's digital marketing strategy?
- How are you going to measure the results?
In this phase, consider how your content strategy fits with your SEO strategy. This will help you define the keywords in each piece of content. You can also develop a calendar that includes information about the pieces of content to be created, who is responsible for preparing them, and when they will be published.
This is the process of creating your inbound marketing content according to the plan you have previously prepared. You may encounter unforeseen events or details that you hadn't taken into account, so we might have to adjust the plan.
In this step it is important to include SEO optimization of your content according to the keywords you previously defined.
The best content in the world will not do you any good if it does not reach your audience. Therefore, you need to have a distribution strategy that increases the visibility of the content you create.
Your content distribution strategy can include both organic techniques (publishing content on your blog or website, posting updates on social networks, etc.) and paid strategies like including content in your social media ads.
Finally, you should establish periodic controls to analyze if your content strategy is producing results. To do this, define a series of KPIs that will tell you how well your strategy is working. For example, instead of focusing on the number of visits, you can look at the number of leads or conversions achieved.
When conducting the analysis, it may be useful to segment the content according to different parameters, such as the length, the format, or the time of publication.
Depending on the results you obtain, you may have to make modifications to your content plan to further optimize your results.
When defining the types of content to include in your inbound marketing strategy, the sky is the limit! Of course, you should always think about what would be an useful format for your target audience and for the funnel phase they are in. You also have to balance creativity and sustainability when producing your content.
As you are developing your content strategy, take a look at some of the most common content formats and determine which one(s) would be best for your brand.
- Blogs are a good tool to publish content in a structured and regular way. Remember that you can play with different extensions and see what kind of articles work best with your audience.
- Downloadable PDF are a great complement for your articles and they allow users to enjoy the content in the format of their choice.
- Ebooks are a classic for lead generation. Many brands choose to offer ebooks on topics of interest in exchange for user data. For this to really work, focus on offering valuable content, using attractive design, and do not obsess about the length.
- Infographics add a visual (or even interactive) element to any data you want to share or highlight and make it more attractive and shareable.
- Videos are a useful format because they are becoming increasingly popular. Posting live videos on social networks is a good way to connect with your audience at a low cost.
- Newsletters are a good way to give visibility to your content. Send them out regularly to your users and encourage them to move through the conversion funnel.
- Webinars position you as an expert in your field and are an excellent way to offer value to users who are already interested in your products or services.
- Podcasts allow you to create your own radio program and reach people around the world.
With this information, you can better understand how content creation works within inbound marketing and how you can start to implement a content marketing strategy.
If you want to boost traffic to your website and improve the results of your inbound marketing strategy, we at Cyberclick are happy to help! Don't hesitate to get in touch with us and get the most out of your content marketing.